Fifa has terminated the employment of its chief operating officer, Kevin Lamour, weeks after the Frenchman publicly broke ranks over a controversial plan championed by president Gianni Infantino to sell off part of the World Cup to private investors.
A Fifa spokesperson confirmed on Monday night that Lamour's tenure had ended, stating: "Fifa can confirm that the working relationship between Fifa and Kevin Lamour as Fifa's Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026. Fifa thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future. No further comment will be made on the matter."
The dismissal comes roughly two weeks after Lamour refused to endorse the proposed sell-off, which he described as "the project of one person" — a clear reference to Infantino. Lamour argued that Fifa's administration had been "deceived" over the scheme and said he was prepared to accept the consequences of his stance. "If speaking up against my boss means I lose my job, then so be it. I will understand and respect that decision. At least I'll sleep well tonight," he said at the time.
Notably, the investment plan was shelved only days after Lamour's intervention became public, raising questions about the timing and motivation behind his subsequent removal.
The sacking has drawn sharp criticism from within European football's governing circles. Lise Klaveness, president of the Norwegian Football Association and a frequent critic of Fifa's leadership, condemned the decision in strong terms. "Now he is thrown out and we are supposed to move on," she said. "It's unacceptable, it's management by fear." Klaveness went further, calling Lamour the best football administrator she has ever encountered, and issued a broader appeal to Fifa's leadership. "We also have to call upon Fifa leadership and the administration to not submit to orders you know are not in the interests of football," she said.
Her remarks have been widely read as an indirect criticism of Mattias Grafström, the Swedish Fifa secretary general, who is understood to have carried out the dismissal on Infantino's instructions. Grafström addressed the situation in an internal email to staff, writing: "Individuals, unstable moments and unfortunate episodes come and go. The institution, its mission and its responsibility towards world football continue."
The episode adds to a growing narrative of internal discord at Fifa's top level, with critics suggesting that dissent against Infantino's leadership carries serious professional risk. Lamour's departure follows a pattern of high-profile exits from the organization, fueling perceptions that the governing body's culture discourages open disagreement with its president.
Infantino's push to bring in outside investment for elements of the World Cup had already generated controversy before Lamour's public objection, with reports suggesting the proposed terms could have significantly undervalued the assets being considered for sale. The plan's quiet abandonment shortly after Lamour voiced his concerns has only intensified scrutiny of the circumstances surrounding his exit.
Fifa has indicated it will not comment further on the matter, leaving unanswered questions about the full details behind Lamour's departure and the broader implications for how internal dissent is handled within the organization moving forward. The controversy is likely to keep pressure on Fifa's leadership as scrutiny of its governance practices continues.
Based on reporting from Guardian Football (Football Daily).