In a transfer saga that gripped Spanish football, World Cup-winning captain Rodri completed a stunning switch from Manchester City to Barcelona, arriving in Catalonia on a private jet late on Monday evening after his flight to El Prat airport touched down 70 minutes behind schedule.
The 30-year-old midfielder, who won the Ballon d'Or in 2024 and was named the best player at this summer's World Cup, has signed a four-year contract with Barcelona running until 30 June 2030. The Catalan club triumphed in negotiations after an initial £40m offer and a subsequent improved bid were both rejected by City before an agreement was finally struck on Sunday. The final package is reported at €60m plus a further €15m in add-ons, of which €11m are considered close to guaranteed. Rodri will reportedly earn around €15m per year in Catalonia, a rise on his City salary.
Barcelona officially confirmed the deal, describing Rodri as one of the finest players in the world in his position, praising his tactical intelligence, composure in possession, ability to win the ball back, and precision in passing. He underwent his medical at the club's Joan Despí training facility on Tuesday morning, completing the formalities of a move that had seemed unlikely just weeks earlier.
For much of the summer, it appeared Rodri's path home to Spain would lead to Real Madrid rather than Barcelona. Having grown up near the capital and come through Atlético Madrid's academy, Rodri had been increasingly open about a potential move to Real, especially after his Ballon d'Or triumph. "Obviously, when the best club in history, the most successful with everything that brings, call you it is an honour and you always have to pay attention,” he said following the ceremony. Real Madrid's presidential candidate Enrique Riquelme had even publicly declared in May that signing Rodri would be a priority.
However, as negotiations progressed, uncertainty grew around Real's commitment to the deal, creating frustration and opening a door that Barcelona were quick to exploit. Although a new forward had been considered a greater priority for the Catalan club, the opportunity to sign a player of Rodri's calibre proved too good to pass up, particularly given lingering questions over Frenkie de Jong's fitness. On the same day Real Madrid announced Vinícius Júnior's contract renewal and unveiled record signing Yan Diomande, they also confirmed that Rodri would not be joining after all.
Rodri has long been viewed as the heir to Sergio Busquets, the player he is expected to succeed as Barcelona's midfield anchor. "I always try to learn from Busquets," Rodri said. "I watched him especially closely: he, and others, laid down a model of playing I knew I had to follow." Spain manager Luis de la Fuente has previously described Rodri as a "perfect computer" in midfield, and his partnership with Pedri is expected to form the backbone of Barcelona's midfield going forward.
Rodri spent seven seasons at Manchester City after arriving from Atlético Madrid in July 2019, winning the Premier League title four times and scoring the decisive goal in the 2023 Champions League final victory over Inter Milan. In a farewell message to City supporters, he wrote: "I found that saying goodbye is one of the most difficult things in life but I am going to try... Manchester shaped my whole life. It's time to say goodbye, thanks to the club, the fans, the staff and my teammates."
Speaking after landing in Barcelona, Rodri said the move fulfilled a lifelong ambition. "Playing for Barcelona is a dream come true for me,” he said. His departure leaves new City manager Enzo Maresca with significant rebuilding work to do in midfield, with Bernardo Silva also leaving and Tijjani Reijnders reportedly close to a move to Saudi Arabia.
Based on reporting from The Guardian.