Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has spoken publicly about the mounting frustration surrounding the prolonged wait for a verdict in Manchester City's financial rule-breach case, conceding that the process has dragged on longer than many had anticipated.
Manchester City continue to operate under a cloud of scrutiny as they await the outcome of 115 charges tied to alleged breaches of Premier League financial regulations. The charges were first brought against the club in February 2023, and City have repeatedly rejected any suggestion of wrongdoing since then.
Speaking to Sky News, Masters explained that confidentiality rules prevent him from offering any insight into the timeline or progress of proceedings. "Our rules are very clear about that - I have to keep everything confidential until we're ready to hand down a decision and be clear about it," he said. "I can't give any update on timing or what's happening."
He added that there is no alternative but to let the independent process play out fully, regardless of how long it takes. "There's only one available route through this, which is to allow the process to take its course," Masters said. "It has taken longer than expected, and I do understand the frustrations."
The unresolved case continues to loom over Manchester City as the club enters a new era following Pep Guardiola's departure. Guardiola stepped away from the role at the conclusion of last season after ten trophy-laden years in charge, during which City claimed six Premier League titles, the Champions League, and the Club World Cup. Enzo Maresca, formerly of Chelsea, has now taken the reins at the Etihad. Maresca's first competitive test in charge comes this Sunday, when City open their Premier League campaign at home against Bournemouth.
In a separate conversation with BBC Sport, Masters turned his attention to the turmoil currently engulfing FIFA. He was blunt in his assessment of the situation, describing it as an issue entirely of the governing body's own creation. "This is a problem of FIFA's making," Masters said. "This is a self-inflicted wound. The organisation has pressed the self-destruct button, and the consequences of that flow now into the solutions that need to be found."
Masters was particularly critical of reports suggesting FIFA could sell a stake in the World Cup, arguing that such a move would run contrary to the organisation's fundamental purpose. "I don't think FIFA should be ever contemplating selling off a stake in the World Cup," he said. "They're a not-for-profit organisation. They should really be holding that competition in trust for the future of football. I think it's a bad idea, and the FA have taken the right position regards to Gianni [Infantino]."
Looking ahead to a potential challenge to Infantino's expected re-election bid next year, Masters suggested that any credible opposing candidate should prioritise institutional reform. "I think an emerging unity candidate should have on his or her agenda reform of FIFA, and perhaps even reform of the president's role and how it interacts with those things," he said.
Masters' remarks arrived shortly after news broke that FIFA's chief operating officer, Kevin Lamour, had departed the organisation - a development that came just two weeks after he had publicly criticised Infantino's proposal to sell off part of the World Cup.
Based on reporting from Independent (football).