Fifa's decision to dismiss its chief operating officer, Kevin Lamour, has sparked fresh condemnation from within European football's governing body, with Uefa vice-president Laura McAllister describing the move as sending a "deeply troubling message" to those pushing for reform at world football's top table.
Lamour's exit was confirmed by Fifa on Monday evening, coming just over two weeks after he publicly stated that Fifa's administration had been "deceived" by president Gianni Infantino over a controversial plan to sell shares in a World Cup-related entity to private investors. Lamour had called the scheme, known as Fifa Forward Enterprise, "the project of one person" in comments made to the Associated Press on 31 July — the same day senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigned, intensifying scrutiny of Infantino's leadership.
McAllister, a former Wales captain who sits on Uefa's executive committee and previously worked alongside Lamour when he served as the organisation's deputy general secretary, issued a statement defending his integrity and criticising the timing and nature of his dismissal.
"I know Kevin Lamour to be an honourable and exemplary sports leader who was a trusted colleague of mine when I was first elected to Uefa Ex Co," McAllister said. "Kevin is not only a deeply principled leader who cares passionately for football, but a brave advocate for the values that should underpin all we do as custodians of our game. During the shabby events of the past weeks, he showed himself to be a courageous advocate for the most important stakeholders in football."
She added: "Having worked with Kevin, I know that his leadership always operates on principles of respect, independence, transparency and sound governance. Kevin's sacking seriously weakens Fifa's administration, whilst undermining this unique opportunity to shift the culture at Fifa and to reset the organisation on sporting values, not simply commercial and financial ones. Fifa is not the president, it is the whole football family."
McAllister went further, warning that Lamour's removal could discourage others from speaking out. "As I have said repeatedly, world football needs strong, principled, independent leaders who are prepared to speak up, challenge when necessary, and stand firmly by their values and those of the global game. Instead, the loss of a leader of Kevin's calibre sends a deeply troubling message to all of us seeking change."
Lamour was notably absent from a Fifa management board meeting held in Morocco on 5 August, where the board issued a statement of "full support" for Infantino. The private investment plan, first reported by The Times and the Financial Times on 28 July and involving a group led by Joshua Kushner's Thrive Eternal, was ultimately withdrawn by Infantino on 1 August amid mounting backlash.
Despite the plan's collapse, tensions have continued to escalate. Uefa, alongside the Asian Football Confederation and Concacaf, issued a joint open letter accusing Fifa and Infantino of breaking trust "through deception," with signatories including Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin, AFC's Sheikh Salman Bin Ibrahim Al Khalifa and Concacaf's Victor Montagliani reportedly hoping Infantino would step down voluntarily.
A growing number of national federations have since withdrawn their backing for Infantino's re-election bid ahead of the 2027 Fifa Congress, including the football associations of England, Wales, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland. Israel became the latest to reverse its endorsement, with federation president Moshe Zuares citing an "unprecedented crisis of trust" within the sport's governance.
Although Fifa's 5 August statement promised a review of the processes surrounding the abandoned investment scheme, no details have yet been released regarding who will lead that review, nearly two weeks on.
Based on reporting from The Independent and BBC Sport.