Man City Face Rising Cost for Enzo Fernandez as United Rebuff Galatasaray's Fernandes Approach

By LiveScore365 Newsroom · Premier League Arsenal FC

Manchester City's pursuit of Chelsea midfielder Enzo Fernandez has become more expensive after they failed to meet the Blues' deadline for offers last Friday, with the Telegraph reporting City must now pay in excess of the £120m previously quoted just a week earlier.

Chelsea are eager to settle Fernandez's future before their Premier League opener against Fulham at Craven Cottage on Monday, with the transfer window shutting on 1 September. Despite the passing deadline, discussions between the two parties are said to be continuing behind the scenes. The Argentine's situation has grown increasingly awkward, with sections of the Stamford Bridge crowd booing him during his first appearance back at the ground this summer.

City's interest in Fernandez stems from the need to rebuild their midfield following Rodri's £65m move to Barcelona after his Ballon d'Or-winning exploits. New head coach Enzo Maresca is understood to be keen on a reunion with Fernandez, whom he worked with previously. City have also been busy elsewhere in midfield, having spent £116m to bring in Elliot Anderson while agreeing to offload Tijjani Reijnders to Al Qadisah for £51m.

Adding to their rebuild, City are in "advanced talks" to sign 18-year-old Lille midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi for roughly £85m, with the Morocco international, who impressed at this summer's World Cup, having already agreed personal terms. Speaking after City's 3-0 Community Shield defeat to Arsenal, Maresca addressed the incoming transfer business. "He's still a Lille player," Maresca said of Bouaddi, "But any new signing, any new player, for sure as soon as they arrive it's better. Because we're going to start the Premier League in one week. If they start to work with us as soon as possible, it's better if they can also understand the way we need to play."

Elsewhere in the transfer market, Manchester United have made clear they will not entertain any offer for captain Bruno Fernandes, despite a lucrative approach from Turkish giants Galatasaray. The Istanbul club, keen to make a marquee statement signing amid a busy summer for domestic rivals Fenerbahce and Besiktas, had reportedly prepared a financial package that would have doubled the 31-year-old's wages. United's position remains firm that Fernandes is not for sale under any circumstances.

The Portuguese international is entering the final year of his contract at Old Trafford, though the club retains the option to trigger a further one-year extension. Fernandes turned down a substantial offer from Saudi side Al-Hilal last summer, later admitting he felt "hurt" by a perception that United had wanted him gone. He answered those doubts on the pitch, winning the club's Player of the Year award and topping the Premier League assist charts with a record 21 in a single campaign, helping United climb from 15th to a top-three finish.

Meanwhile, Liverpool and Arsenal have received encouragement in their respective efforts to sign Paris Saint-Germain winger Bradley Barcola after the France international was omitted from the PSG squad for their French Super Cup defeat to Lens, having also been an unused substitute in the European Super Cup win over Aston Villa. PSG boss Luis Enrique declined to clarify Barcola's situation, saying: "I'll talk about the situation after the transfer window has passed."

Liverpool have reportedly offered £100m for the 23-year-old, well below PSG's £145m valuation, but are prepared to be patient as they continue negotiations before the deadline. Arsenal, also searching for a high-profile attacking addition, remain interested as well.

Based on reporting from The Independent.

Sources: independent-football
AboutEditorial policyContactNewsWidget