Liverpool's latest recruit Victor Munoz has wasted no time settling into life at Anfield, cutting short his post-tournament break to join his new teammates for training this week ahead of a crucial pre-season clash with Monaco.
The 23-year-old, who had been entitled to the standard three-week rest period afforded to players who featured at this summer's World Cup, opted instead to report early to Liverpool's training base, taking part in his first session on Wednesday. Having overcome some minor fitness concerns, Munoz is now pushing to feature when Andoni Iraola's side host Monaco on Sunday in what will be the new manager's first match in charge at Anfield.
Speaking to Liverpool's official website in his first interview since joining, Munoz explained the reasoning behind his early arrival. "Obviously, pre-season is well under way and I was at the World Cup when the decision came through about the transfer," he said. "I was in a position there where I couldn't play in the team for Spain so as soon as that competition was over the main thing on my agenda was getting here, training and getting to meet my team-mates."
He added that adapting quickly to a new environment was a priority given the demands of switching clubs and countries. "You need time to adapt when you are moving to a new club and a new country so for me it was a case of the earlier I could get started, the better," Munoz said.
The defender's early arrival comes at a useful moment for Iraola, who has faced a stretched squad throughout the early stages of pre-season. A mix of injuries, a slow transfer market, and extended holidays for several World Cup participants have limited the Basque coach's options so far. Nevertheless, the Spanish head coach may still choose to be cautious with Munoz's introduction given the player's lack of match fitness.
Despite that, Munoz made clear he feels prepared to contribute immediately if called upon. "Well, I think I'm ready," he said. "Obviously if the coach says so after training and asks me to feature in the starting XI, I'll be there. I'm keen and I can't wait to get started. [Against] Monaco, why not?"
Munoz's move to Liverpool arrives alongside the arrival of French centre-back Jeremy Jacquet, who signed from Rennes in a deal worth £60 million that was actually agreed back in January but only now taking effect. Both players are expected to bolster a Liverpool squad undergoing transition following Iraola's appointment as head coach.
Asked about his motivation for choosing Liverpool as the next step in his career, Munoz pointed to reassurances from his compatriot Iraola about his development path at the club. "I'm sure it's the correct step for me and this is exactly what the coach, Andoni, said to me as well – that he was going to put a lot of confidence in me," Munoz said. "He rightly pointed out that I am quite a young player, I'm here as a professional and he is going to help me. He is going to help me to develop, and develop within and for this great club and in this mythical stadium, Anfield."
Liverpool will be eager to put their pre-season struggles behind them following a chaotic finish to their US tour, where they conceded four second-half goals in a 4-2 defeat to Leeds. Sunday's meeting with Monaco offers Iraola his first opportunity to oversee a home fixture as Liverpool boss, with Munoz hopeful he can play some part in the response.
Based on reporting from Standard Football.