Liverpool great Ian Rush has called for patience with new head coach Andoni Iraola, insisting the Spaniard deserves time to stamp his ideas on the club after taking over from Arne Slot this summer.
Iraola, 44, agreed a two-year contract in June following his departure from Bournemouth and will lead Liverpool into his first competitive fixture away at Newcastle United on Sunday, 23 August. While Rush believes lifting a trophy in his maiden campaign should remain the target, he cautioned against rushing to judgment too early in the process.
"I think the first four or five games, that's going to be important," Rush said. "If you start well, that will give everyone the confidence to go on and be more successful."
Asked what he considered a successful season for the club, the record goalscorer pointed to Liverpool's usual lofty ambitions. "I've been asked every year for 30 years and I say to win the league. That's the standard at Liverpool," he said. "But no, he's got to be given time. If you win a trophy, that would be great. But he needs to be given time and I'm sure he'll deliver the goods."
Liverpool's transfer activity under Iraola has so far been limited to the arrivals of centre-back Jeremy Jacquet from Rennes and Spanish winger Victor Munoz, even as the club bid farewell to key figures such as left-back Andy Robertson, forward Mohamed Salah and defender Ibrahima Konate. Despite calls for further reinforcements, Rush urged supporters to remain calm, pointing to a handful of returning injured players who could soon bolster Iraola's options.
"We'd all like to make one or two more signings, but there's a time and a place with everything," he said. "We've got people coming back from injury, if we can get them back it might be okay. There's still a few weeks to go so let's see what happens." Conor Bradley, Hugo Ekitike and young defender Giovanni Leoni are among those expected to return from long spells on the sidelines.
On the subject of Salah, who is closing in on a move to Turkish club Trabzonspor after nine trophy-laden years at Anfield, Rush was warm in his praise while admitting some relief that his own club scoring record remains intact. Salah leaves with 257 goals for the Reds, still 89 short of Rush's tally.
"I think it's amazing, what he's done for Liverpool in nine years, it makes him a very, very special player," Rush said. "He'll always be welcome at Liverpool Football Club, he knows it, he said that it's home as well. We wish him well, and I'm sure he will do well, but at least my record's safe for now."
Rush also spoke highly of the progress made by young Wales internationals Lewis Koumas and Harry Wilson during pre-season. Koumas scored in Liverpool's 4-2 win over Sunderland, while Wilson impressed for Leeds United in their comeback victory over Iraola's side in Chicago. "I've seen Lewis quite a lot in pre-season, he looks very, very good," Rush said. "Harry Wilson, he came on in the second half, he was a major influence for Leeds in beating Liverpool."
Away from matters on the pitch, Rush attended the launch of a new permanent exhibit dedicated to his career at Anfield's LFC Museum this week. The 'All You Need Is Rush' display features memorabilia donated by the former striker, including hat-trick match balls, European Golden Boot awards and FA Cup final shirts. "It feels tremendous. I found it quite emotional," Rush said of the occasion. "When you stop playing, you forget about what you've achieved... to get it all out, get it cleaned up and share it with Liverpool Football Club is great." The exhibition opens to the public on 14 August, marking 30 years since Rush's final appearance for the club.
Based on reporting from BBC Sport.