Tottenham Hotspur have offered supporters a glimpse of encouraging news on the injury front, releasing training footage this week showing Mohammed Kudus and Dejan Kulusevski making progress in their respective recoveries.
Kudus has been out of action since early January after picking up a quad injury in the opening moments of a 1-1 draw against Sunderland. The Ghanaian midfielder had appeared to be nearing a comeback after working his way back into full training, only to suffer a setback that ultimately ruled him out for the remainder of the campaign, costing him the club's final seven Premier League fixtures as well as a place at the World Cup.
Kulusevski's absence has been even more prolonged. The Swedish attacking midfielder has not featured for Spurs since May 2025, when a patella injury forced him out of contention. That meant he missed out on the club's Europa League final triumph over Manchester United and has been sidelined throughout the entirety of the 2025/26 season.
Wednesday's training footage marked a notable moment for both players, who have been working tirelessly behind the scenes to return to first-team action. However, head coach Roberto De Zerbi has been careful to temper expectations, particularly regarding Kulusevski, who is not yet training alongside the main squad.
The Italian boss has indicated that the 26-year-old will be reintegrated gradually once he is deemed ready, mindful of the extended layoff he has endured. "Kulusevski, we have to see in the next couple of weeks. He's another important player," De Zerbi said ahead of Tottenham's pre-season friendly against Auckland FC. "After one season, one complete season, without a game, we have to analyse better and better, don't take risks, first of all for him and then for us."
Kudus appears to be further along in his rehabilitation. De Zerbi expressed optimism last month that the attacking midfielder would be able to rejoin full training once the squad returned from their pre-season tour of New Zealand and Australia. "Kudus is very close. I think when we come back to London he will be available to start working with us," the head coach said at the time. "It's a great thing for us. Kudus is another important player."
The timing of any potential returns remains uncertain, but the club's decision to share footage of the pair training will be seen as a positive sign for a Tottenham squad eager to strengthen its options across midfield and attack. Both players are regarded as key figures within De Zerbi's plans, and their eventual comebacks would provide a significant lift to the squad's depth and quality.
For Kudus, the road back has already been a frustrating one, having appeared close to a return before suffering a setback that extended his absence considerably. Tottenham will be hoping there is no repeat of that scenario as he continues the final stages of his recovery.
Kulusevski's situation is more delicate given the length of time since his last competitive appearance. De Zerbi's cautious approach reflects the club's determination to avoid rushing him back prematurely and risking a further injury that could set his progress back even further.
With no firm timeline attached to either player's return, Tottenham fans will continue to monitor updates closely as the club looks to bolster its options heading into a demanding schedule.
Based on reporting from Standard Sport.