The fallout from Fifa's collapsed World Cup private investment plan continued to intensify on Tuesday, as two of the organisation's most senior figures publicly distanced themselves from president Gianni Infantino over the affair.
Mattias Grafström, Fifa's secretary general and effectively Infantino's deputy, described the entire episode as a "sad and reproachable series of events" in an email sent to Fifa staff and seen by the Guardian. His remarks came just hours before Arsène Wenger, the former Arsenal manager who now serves as Fifa's chief of global development, released his own statement branding the abandonment of the scheme "absolutely necessary and beyond question."
The interventions represent the latest sign that Infantino is losing the backing of senior figures within his own administration. Last week, Carlos Cordeiro, a trusted adviser to the Fifa president, resigned from his role, while chief operating officer Kevin Lamour issued a stinging rebuke in which he accused the administration of having been "deceived" by Infantino himself.
In his message to staff, Grafström stopped short of naming Infantino directly but made clear his unease at how events had unfolded. Referring to the so-called FFE project, which has now been permanently scrapped, he wrote that the saga should not be allowed to overshadow the perceived success of this summer's World Cup. "A sad and reproachable series of events – which were thankfully concluded with the FFE project permanently abandoned – for as much as we feel dismayed by them, should not overshadow this reality," he said.
Grafström went on to acknowledge the turbulence within the organisation, telling staff: "We have all been thrown into the middle of a turmoil, which is difficult to comprehend and accept, but, as secretary general, I urge you to remain focused on what has always united us: serving football and serving our 211 member associations, hand in hand with all relevant stakeholders and in full compliance with the Fifa statutes and Fifa regulations."
He also sought to reassure employees that they would not be caught in the crossfire of the political crisis engulfing Fifa's leadership. "I assure you that as members of the administration, you will be defended and safeguarded from the political context we currently experience. You do not need to worry," he wrote, adding: "Individuals, unstable moments and unfortunate episodes come and go. The institution, its mission and its responsibility towards world football continue, and that is why we should always keep our professionalism, sense of perspective and composure."
Wenger, who took up his position at Fifa in November 2019, had until now remained silent on the controversy. He revealed that he had played no part in devising the strategy and learned of it only through media coverage. "I was not involved in this strategic plan and first became aware of the project through media reports," he said. He went further in endorsing the decision to scrap it, stating: "The decision to withdraw the project was absolutely necessary and beyond question, because I firmly believe in an independent Fifa that serves our game with commitment, transparency, and integrity."
The comments from two of Infantino's closest lieutenants underline how isolated the Fifa president has become at the top of his own organisation. The pressure on his leadership shows no sign of easing, with several European football federations withdrawing their support for his re-election bid on Monday, and further defections anticipated in the days ahead as the crisis over the failed investment scheme continues to unfold.
Based on reporting from the Guardian.