The Metropolitan Police has issued appeals for information after a series of violent and anti-social incidents marred parts of Arsenal's Premier League title celebrations in Islington on Sunday, 31 May.
While organisers deployed a significant security presence to ensure fans could safely mark the occasion, officers say a small number of individuals engaged in criminal behaviour that put others at risk. More than 500 officers, supported by specialist search units and drone teams, were stationed throughout the parade route to monitor the crowds and respond to trouble.
Detectives have now released a series of images showing individuals they wish to identify in connection with several separate incidents that took place during the day. Police have stressed that the incidents are not linked to one another but form part of ongoing investigations into isolated acts of violence and disorder.
Among the incidents under investigation is a racially aggravated assault on a woman, reported on Upper Street at around 2:30pm. Officers were also called to Caledonian Road at approximately 3:15pm after a report of a person damaging a vehicle. A further assault on a woman was reported on Highbury Crescent at around 4:30pm.
One of the more serious incidents occurred later in the evening near the Kings Head pub on Upper Street, where police responded to reports of an assault at approximately 10:31pm. Two men suffered serious injuries in that altercation, and detectives have released multiple images of individuals sought in connection with the incident.
So far, 29 arrests have been made in relation to alleged offences committed during the parade, which included several stabbings alongside other assaults. Twelve suspects have already been charged, facing a range of serious offences including attempted murder, grievous bodily harm, assault on an emergency worker, and sexual assault.
Detective Chief Inspector Phil Coster, of the Metropolitan Police Service, addressed the incidents and thanked the majority of supporters who attended peacefully. "These incidents occurred on a day when fans should have been able to enjoy celebrations safely with family and friends. Instead, we saw a small number of individuals engage in behaviour that put others at risk," he said.
Coster acknowledged that despite the disorder, the event was largely a success for the vast majority who attended. "While the event was largely safe and brought thousands of fans together to celebrate, we did see instances of disorder, anti-social behaviour and some violent incidents," he said, adding that the heavy police presence helped the majority of the crowd celebrate without incident.
He confirmed that investigations remain active, with detectives continuing to piece together evidence from the day. "We are continuing to carry out enquiries to help progress our investigation and identify those responsible. If you recognise any of the men pictured, or have any information that could assist our investigation, please get in touch with us," Coster said.
The Metropolitan Police is urging anyone with information relating to the incidents, or who recognises any of the individuals pictured, to come forward. Members of the public can contact police on 101, quoting reference 7135/25Jul, or pass on information anonymously through the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
The appeal underscores the challenge faced by police in balancing large-scale public celebrations with the safety of attendees, as investigations into the isolated incidents from Arsenal's title parade continue.
Based on reporting from The Independent.