Concacaf Nations Weigh Withdrawing Backing for Fifa's Infantino

By LiveScore365 Newsroom · Internazionale

A growing number of Concacaf nations are reportedly considering pulling their support for Fifa president Gianni Infantino, mirroring a wave of dissent that has already emerged from European football associations.

All 41 Concacaf members had previously submitted formal letters endorsing Infantino's bid for re-election ahead of the World Cup. However, sources indicate that many within the confederation, which spans North America, Central America and the Caribbean, are now reconsidering that support.

Finland broke ranks first, becoming the initial member among Fifa's 211 national associations to publicly retract its endorsement last Thursday. The Football Association of Wales followed on Monday, with chair Laura McAllister — who had previously floated the idea of a World Cup boycott during an emergency Uefa gathering — confirming the withdrawal. England's FA is also said to have privately informed Fifa that it would not be backing Infantino's continued leadership.

According to a source who attended an emergency Concacaf meeting held last Friday, member nations expressed strong solidarity with Uefa's position, which has been at the forefront of efforts pushing for change at the top of world football's governing body. Several countries reportedly signaled intentions during that meeting to formally rescind their support, with some possibly having already done so quietly.

However, the situation is complicated by competing interests within the confederation. Four Concacaf members — the United States, Mexico, Costa Rica and Jamaica — are jointly bidding to host the 2031 Women's World Cup, a decision that ultimately rests with Fifa and is expected to be finalized at an extraordinary general meeting in November. This dependency on Fifa's goodwill could make some of these federations hesitant to openly confront Infantino.

The US Soccer Federation is understood to harbor significant frustration with Infantino, stemming partly from controversy surrounding his interactions with Donald Trump, which created difficulties for the federation in relation to the Folarin Balogun eligibility situation. Despite this discontent, political considerations may prevent US Soccer from taking a public stand against the Fifa president.

Adding further intrigue, Concacaf president Victor Montagliani has been mentioned as a possible challenger who could realistically contest Infantino's leadership in the presidential vote scheduled for next March. Montagliani has publicly called for a comprehensive overhaul of Fifa's governance structures, though he has not committed to running. He told the Guardian last month that his immediate focus remains securing re-election as Concacaf president, with that confederation's own elections also due next year.

The picture looks markedly different in Asia. While the Asian Football Confederation initially joined Uefa in opposing Infantino's plans to potentially restructure or sell off aspects of the World Cup, that unity now appears to be fracturing. Qatar and the United Arab Emirates — two of the AFC's most financially influential members — have openly declared their continued support for Infantino. Smaller nations including Sri Lanka, Lebanon, Kuwait and Bhutan have also voiced backing for the incumbent.

Most of the AFC's 47 members, including Saudi Arabia, have so far remained quiet on the matter. Uefa officials are hopeful that continued pressure could sway some of these undecided federations toward opposing Infantino, though it remains uncertain whether enough support exists across confederations to mount a genuine electoral challenge.

Based on reporting from The Guardian.

Sources: guardian-football
AboutEditorial policyContactNewsWidget