Bayern Munich Address Jamal Musiala's Health Scare After Second On-Pitch Collapse

By LiveScore365 Newsroom · Internazionale

Bayern Munich have opened up about the medical situation surrounding Jamal Musiala after the young German international suffered two separate collapses on the pitch within the space of four days, sparking concern among fans and prompting the club to clarify the circumstances behind his continued participation in matches.

Honorary president Uli Hoeness revealed that the club had been aware of underlying issues affecting Musiala even before this year's World Cup, though the condition had not previously interfered with his ability to play. Speaking to Sky Sports, Hoeness explained that the first visible incident occurred during last weekend's match against RB Leipzig. "We have been aware of the problems for some time. But last weekend against Leipzig was the first time it happened on the pitch and was visible to everyone," he said.

After that initial episode, Bayern's medical staff believed medication would prevent a recurrence. However, when Musiala collapsed again in a similar fashion just four days later, Hoeness admitted the club was caught off guard. "We thought that if it didn't happen again so quickly, the medication he is taking would help. But when it happened again four days later, in the same way, I was stunned," he said.

The decision to allow Musiala to play on Tuesday, so soon after his first collapse, drew criticism from some supporters. Bayern moved to defend the choice, insisting the player had been cleared by medical specialists beforehand. Hoeness stressed that neurologists had given explicit written approval for Musiala to continue competing at the highest level. "The doctors treating him, the neurologists and specialists, have provided us with written confirmation - because this was absolutely essential for us - that, in their view, there are no concerns regarding Jamal taking part in high-performance sport," he said, adding that without such assurance the club would have been acting irresponsibly. "Since we've had this written confirmation, we've been sleeping a little more soundly. But I must say, I'm rarely at a loss for words or without a clear solution. We'll have to feel our way through this new situation first."

Teammate Harry Kane offered his support for Musiala, describing him as an integral figure within the squad. "He is a great player, extremely talented. He is a big part of our team. We feel really sorry for him and frustrated for him when things happen like they do in the last couple of games," Kane said, adding that the whole squad stood ready to help him through the difficult period.

Musiala himself addressed the situation on Instagram following the second collapse, revealing that seizures had become a recurring part of his daily life. Medical experts have identified the episodes as consistent with absence seizures, a form of generalised seizure that can affect awareness and, in some cases, physical coordination. According to Dr Meneka Sidhu, a consultant neurologist at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in London, such seizures are often brief and can be effectively managed with medication, allowing continued participation in sport provided triggers such as dehydration or hyperventilation are properly managed.

Musiala's situation mirrors that of other athletes who have continued competing after an epilepsy diagnosis, including England rugby player Tommy Freeman, who manages his condition with medication.

The timing adds to what has already been an extraordinarily difficult period for the 22-year-old. His last campaign ended prematurely due to injury, followed by a serious car accident, before a broken leg and dislocated ankle sustained in the Club World Cup quarter-final against Paris Saint-Germain sidelined him for 196 days. He played much of last season with a metal plate in his foot, which was only removed in July, limiting his pre-season training.

German football analyst Constantin Eckner noted that Musiala's underwhelming recent form has been closely tied to this string of physical setbacks, suggesting Bayern's summer signing of Ismael Saibari was partly designed to offset his ongoing fitness uncertainty. Despite the challenges, Eckner said Musiala, still just 22, retains significant long-term value and potential.

Based on reporting from BBC Sport.

Sources: bbc-sport-football
AboutEditorial policyContactNewsWidget