Celtic Set to Lose Engels to West Ham as O'Neill Eyes Reinforcements

By LiveScore365 Newsroom · Arsenal FC

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill has all but confirmed that defender Arne Engels is on the verge of completing a move to West Ham United, with the player reportedly undergoing his medical at the time O'Neill spoke to reporters.

O'Neill admitted he was disappointed to be losing a player who had impressed during his time at Celtic Park, but acknowledged the difficulty in standing in the way of what appears to be an attractive opportunity for Engels.

"I would imagine that he's probably at this minute doing the medical. Naturally disappointed, really, that he's leaving the football club, he's done very well for us," O'Neill said. "And it's hard to dissuade him of that. If it hadn't come up, I think he'd have been happy. Even though the offer came in very late from Nottingham Forest in January, he never moaned about it at all. So it's an opportunity for him and it's really hard for him to turn it down."

The timing of the move has been influenced by an injury to Canada international right-back Alistair Johnston, who had also been attracting transfer interest, notably from Everton. Johnston was forced off at half-time during Celtic's 5-1 victory over Kilmarnock on Sunday, and O'Neill revealed the setback would keep him sidelined for several weeks - likely beyond the closing of the transfer window.

O'Neill suggested that the situation with Johnston may have played a part in West Ham's urgency to push through the Engels deal now rather than risk losing the chance altogether. "Ideally, I'd love him to have stayed and maybe completed after the two games," said O'Neill, who has returned to full duties following a medical procedure last week. "It probably wasn't going to happen. You've got a concern, I suppose, with the fact that Alistair played for us when there was an offer on the table, hurt himself, maybe things like that there may disappear. I suppose Arne was probably worried the same sort of thing might happen. From a playing viewpoint, I probably can understand that."

Despite the blow of Johnston's injury, O'Neill praised his resilience in the face of the setback and the uncertainty over his future. "He'll be out for a few weeks," the Celtic boss said. "By the time he's fit, he'll be past the transfer deadline. He's been very stoic about it, really. It's a shame for him, but it's not long-term. It's something that he'll get over and he'll be back."

With Engels' departure appearing imminent, attention has turned to how Celtic plan to strengthen their squad before the window closes. The club have already added Egyptian winger Haissem Hassan and German Under-21 international midfielder Mika Baur this week, and O'Neill indicated that further signings could follow.

Among the potential incomings is Chelsea left-back Landon Emenalo, who has reportedly been given a tour of Celtic's Lennoxtown training facility as the club consider bringing him in on loan to provide cover for Kieran Tierney. O'Neill spoke highly of the 18-year-old's potential, while also addressing Tierney's resurgence after a difficult period at Arsenal.

"I think he's a really fine young player," O'Neill said of Emenalo. "Obviously we need that position covered. Kieran did exceptionally well last season, having been plagued with injuries at Arsenal. He came roaring back, which was great. And this young man has definitely got talent. He's got a bit of an injury at the moment. We're hoping that that will clear up shortly. And, if it does, and I think it will, I'd love to have him."

Based on reporting from BBC Sport Football.

Sources: bbc-sport-football
AboutEditorial policyContactNewsWidget