Manchester City have turned down a second offer from Barcelona for midfielder Rodri, reportedly worth around €60m (£51m), as the Spanish champions continue their pursuit of the World Cup winner. Meanwhile, Chelsea have issued a firm ultimatum to any club interested in signing Enzo Fernández, setting a Friday 5pm deadline for a bid of £120m to be tabled.
Barcelona had initially proposed €45m for Rodri before returning with the improved bid, but City rejected that offer as well. Sources suggest City are holding out for a fee in the region of £60m to £65m for the 30-year-old, who lifted the World Cup with Spain and has previously won the Ballon d'Or.
Despite City's resistance on price, there is a growing sense within the club that Rodri's departure to Barcelona is close to inevitable, given the player's own preference to join the Catalan giants. With that outcome increasingly likely, City have already begun looking at potential replacements, with Chelsea captain Enzo Fernández emerging as their primary target to strengthen Enzo Maresca's midfield options.
Fernández, who also won the World Cup with Argentina in Qatar in 2022, is viewed as a player capable of bringing both experience and leadership to the City squad. However, Chelsea have made clear they will not be easily persuaded to sell their captain. The west London club's position is that suitors have had ample time throughout the summer transfer window to make a serious offer, and unless a bid meeting their £120m valuation arrives by the Friday deadline, Fernández will remain a Chelsea player heading into the new season.
To help fund a potential move for Fernández or other targets, Manchester City are reportedly in advanced talks to sell midfielder Tijjani Reijnders to Saudi Arabian club Al-Qadsiah. The proposed deal for the 28-year-old Dutchman, who only joined City last summer, is said to be worth approximately €60m.
Amid the swirl of transfer speculation, City did secure a piece of positive news on the retention front. Winger Jérémy Doku has put pen to paper on a new contract that will keep him at the Etihad Stadium until 2031, providing a boost for supporters amid uncertainty over Rodri's future.
The 24-year-old Belgian expressed enthusiasm about the direction of the club under new manager Enzo Maresca. "With Enzo here now I am really excited about the new season. His style of football is the kind we love, so that's exciting for the players," Doku said.
He also credited the club's supporters as a significant factor in his decision to commit his long-term future to City. "The City fans are also a huge reason I have signed this new contract. I feel their love and support, and it means the world to me. I want to focus of bringing them the success they deserve," he added.
With the transfer window entering its final stages, City's business appears to be shaping around the anticipated sale of Rodri, funded partly by Reijnders' expected exit, while simultaneously pursuing a marquee replacement in Fernández. Chelsea, for their part, appear determined to use their deadline as leverage, forcing any interested parties to make a definitive move before the window narrows further. How the situation resolves over the coming days could have significant implications for both clubs' midfield options heading into the new campaign.
Based on reporting from The Guardian.