The summer transfer window continues to generate significant movement across the Premier League and Europe, with Liverpool at the centre of attention over a potential deal for Paris Saint-Germain winger Bradley Barcola.
Having already secured a loan move for Ronald Araujo, Liverpool are reportedly in advanced discussions with Barcola over personal terms and are now negotiating a transfer fee with PSG. The French champions are said to be holding out for around £145m for the 23-year-old, who impressed at the World Cup with three goals for France. According to reports, Liverpool are refraining from submitting a formal bid, banking on the price dropping if PSG bring in fresh attacking reinforcements this window. Arsenal have also been credited with interest but have yet to make contact with PSG.
PSG manager Luis Enrique declined to discuss Barcola's situation ahead of Wednesday's Super Cup clash with Aston Villa in Salzburg. "I don't know and I don't want to speak about any player individually," Enrique said. "Because it's always dangerous when you are asking something positive or negative about a player. I stay focused on my team." Barcola only rejoined PSG training last week after representing France at the World Cup but remains available for selection against Villa.
Elsewhere, Arsenal have attempted to move on academy product Myles Lewis-Skelly, offering him to several Premier League clubs including Chelsea and Manchester United. Both rivals have turned down the opportunity to sign the young defender, who is understood to want to stay and compete for a first-team spot at the Emirates despite growing competition following the arrival of Bruno Guimaraes.
Chelsea have been busy in the market, confirming the signing of Spanish left-back Pep Chavarria from Rayo Vallecano on a five-year contract. The deal, worth an initial £16.2m plus £1.7m in add-ons, makes the 28-year-old the club's ninth signing of the summer as they look to replace Marc Cucurella. "I'm so excited to get started. This is a dream for me as Chelsea are one of the biggest clubs in the world," Chavarria said. "It is a big opportunity but I am prepared and will work hard to help the team achieve success."
Manchester City have added goalkeeping depth by signing Geronimo Rulli from Marseille for £1.7m, serving as backup to Gianluigi Donnarumma following the £45m sale of James Trafford to Leeds. The 34-year-old Argentine has returned to the Etihad a decade after his initial move to the club in 2016, having never made an appearance before being loaned to Real Sociedad. City are also reported to be closing in on Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi as Rodri appears increasingly likely to depart for Barcelona or Real Madrid.
In other news, Crystal Palace have brought back Evann Guessand on loan from Aston Villa, with an option to make the move permanent. The Ivory Coast international, who impressed during a previous spell at Selhurst Park, expressed his delight at returning. "I'm so happy to be here," Guessand said. "I already have good memories here – but I think it's only the beginning. I hope many more are coming."
Meanwhile, Monaco have rejected a €50m bid from Crystal Palace for midfielder Lamine Camara, who is also being tracked by Manchester United and Chelsea as United look to strengthen their midfield following Casemiro's departure.
Former Liverpool boss Arne Slot has confirmed he will remain in club football, turning down talks to become the new Netherlands manager. "At this stage in my career, I prefer to see myself on the training pitch with my players every day," Slot explained, adding that he had chosen not to pursue formal negotiations for the national team role.
Based on reporting from The Independent.