Andoni Iraola's first pre-season in charge of Liverpool has produced a mixed bag of results, but one clear positive has emerged from the club's central defensive crisis: 18-year-old Ifeanyi Ndukwe.
With Liverpool having won two and lost two of their four warm-up fixtures - defeating Sunderland and Wrexham while surrendering two-goal advantages against Leeds and Monaco - the Reds have been forced to lean heavily on their inexperienced options at the back. Joe Gomez was injured in the opening pre-season match, £60m arrival Jeremy Jacquet has been sidelined with a knee complaint, and Giovanni Leoni continues his recovery from a serious knee injury. That void has been filled by Ndukwe, an Austrian teenager who has made the most of an unexpected opportunity.
Having already logged two full 90-minute performances and one 80-minute outing, the towering 6ft 6in defender lined up alongside captain Virgil van Dijk against Monaco at Anfield on Sunday. He quickly caught the eye with a composed backheel that left Monaco forward Mika Biereth off balance, and he won every defensive duel he contested throughout the match.
Despite the impressive showing, Ndukwe will not be considered for Liverpool's competitive fixtures this season. Post-Brexit work permit regulations mean he cannot feature in official matches in 2026, as he has not accumulated the points required for a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE). His only route into competitive football with Liverpool would be through an Elite Significant Contribution (ESC) slot - but that solitary spot has already gone to Senegalese youngster Mor Talla Ndiaye.
Liverpool's allocation of ESC places is tied to the percentage of minutes given to England-qualified players last season, and having fallen below the 35% threshold, the club is limited to just one such slot. That reflects a squad that last term featured only a handful of English players - Freddie Woodman, Gomez, Rhys Williams, Curtis Jones, Trey Nyoni and Rio Ngumoha - who combined for 83 Premier League appearances between them, following the departures of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Jarell Quansah and Tyler Morton, plus Harvey Elliott's loan move.
Ndukwe's rise to Anfield stems from his development at Austria Vienna, where he progressed through the academy into the reserve side before earning senior appearances, including one for the first team. A standout performance at the Under-17 World Cup in Qatar last November caught Liverpool's attention, leading to an agreed £2.6m deal in January that was finalised this summer once he turned 18.
Van Dijk, who partnered the youngster in the first half against Monaco, was full of praise afterward. "Obviously, I saw the games in pre-season in America," the Dutch defender said. "Big talent, big guy and he wants to learn. I had a brief conversation with him, especially in the last couple of days. For him, it is just progressing. I know he has to go on loan I think so let's see where he ends up. The matter of fact is that he has to go on loan and wherever he goes, he needs to learn, get better and be ready when he comes back to hopefully stay there."
Ndukwe is set to feature once more for Liverpool in their final pre-season friendly against Como on 16 August before a loan destination is finalised, with a decision expected within the next two weeks. His agent, Georg Lederer, told Sky Sports Austria in July that suitors from top European leagues had already shown concrete interest, describing the situation as "a great opportunity" for his client despite the permit setback.
To qualify automatically for a UK work visa, Ndukwe must accumulate 15 points across various criteria while on loan, with the standard of competition determining how quickly those points are earned. Should he join a sufficiently strong league, it is understood he could reach the required tally by January - potentially opening the door for a recall to Liverpool later in the season, though that possibility could complicate negotiations with prospective loan clubs.
Based on reporting from BBC Sport.