Virgil van Dijk continues to be the one constant in an otherwise shifting Liverpool backline, with the 35-year-old signaling he is ready for another heavy workload as the club prepares for a season of transition under new head coach Andoni Iraola.
The Dutch captain made his first pre-season appearance of the summer in Liverpool's 3-2 defeat to Monaco at Anfield, a match in which the hosts squandered a 2-0 lead. Van Dijk was at fault for the turning point, fouling Aleksandr Golovin just before half-time to concede a penalty that Golovin converted himself.
Despite the setback, Van Dijk struck a confident tone about his fitness heading into the new campaign, pointing to last season as evidence he can still carry a heavy burden at the back. According to Opta data cited by reporters, no outfield player in Europe's top five leagues logged more minutes than Van Dijk last season, with a combined tally of 6,121 minutes across club and country, including 4,941 for Liverpool. He played every minute of Liverpool's Premier League season and every minute of the Netherlands' World Cup campaign.
"Are you going to say I'm 35 years old and I can't do it?" Van Dijk said, dismissing suggestions his age might be catching up with him. "At the end of the day, you have to look after yourself. You have to be, I wouldn't say lucky, but you have to do everything in your power. That is the bare minimum for me because I feel the responsibility to be ready for each and every game."
He added that his approach to recovery between matches, which come every three days during the season, is central to sustaining his level. "For me, I feel good. I am also a late bloomer so you know, maybe... it is what it is. I feel fine," he said.
Van Dijk's importance has only grown given Liverpool's threadbare options in central defense. With Joe Gomez injured and young defenders Giovanni Leoni and Jeremy Jacquet yet to feature in pre-season, Van Dijk was for a period essentially the club's only fit senior centre-back. That is set to change with Ronald Araújo's move from Barcelona, reported to be worth around £50m, nearing completion. Iraola has been keen to add defensive depth, and Van Dijk welcomed the incoming Uruguayan.
"Any player that arrives at the club we will be welcoming," Van Dijk said. "I have no idea if it has been announced or not. I have not seen him so let's see."
On Jacquet, who has been carefully managed following an injury-hit end to his spell at Rennes, Van Dijk expressed optimism about a swift return. "I've spoken to him. I've seen him walking around and we have conversations. I can't wait to see him back on the pitch and I hope that happens very soon. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know exactly the situation, but I have a feeling this week he could be back on the pitch, hopefully as soon as possible."
Van Dijk also touched on his early look at 18-year-old Austrian defender Ifeanyi Ndukwe, who partnered him in his pre-season bow but cannot yet be registered in England due to work permit restrictions. "Big talent, big guy," Van Dijk said. "The matter of fact is that he has to go on loan. Let's see where he ends up."
Beyond defensive reinforcements, Van Dijk suggested Liverpool could still be busy in the transfer market before the September 1 deadline, with further quality additions possible to strengthen the squad, including reported interest in forward areas.
As Liverpool adjust to life under Iraola following the managerial change, Van Dijk emphasized his role as captain in supporting the new coach. "We had a great conversation in the first week when it got announced and the main thing for him to know is I am here for him regardless, anything he needs, wants to know, wants me to do for the team or whatever," he said. "Nothing to take away from Arne and his staff, we had an amazing time together, but obviously last year was a disappointment. This year we have a new manager who has new ways of preparation, so we have to adapt to the new staff, different training methods. I liked working under Arne and I am sure I will like working under the new manager."
With departures including Ibrahima Konate, Andy Robertson, and Mohamed Salah reshaping the squad, Van Dijk acknowledged the club is entering a new phase. "It definitely feels like a bit of a transition, for sure," he said. "It is down to everyone associated with Liverpool to make sure we are building something that will be successful for years to come."
Based on reporting from The Independent and The Guardian.