Mikel Arteta could barely conceal his relief after watching Arsenal slip to a 3-2 pre-season defeat against Borussia Dortmund, with the result offering another stark reminder of the gaps that remain in his squad ahead of the new campaign.
Speaking after the match, the Arsenal manager pointed to the imminent return of his World Cup contingent as a source of comfort. "Tomorrow, finally, everybody back," Arteta said, confirming that Bukayo Saka and David Raya had already reported for pre-season training on Saturday, with Declan Rice, Eberechi Eze and Martin Zubimendi expected to follow shortly.
The timing could not be more pressing. Arsenal were repeatedly cut open in midfield during the loss to Dortmund, with the German side finding vast pockets of space to exploit. Myles Lewis-Skelly, deployed as the deepest midfielder behind two more attack-minded No.8s, struggled to shield the back line, a problem compounded by Riccardo Calafiori's tendency to drift out of position.
Such risks are more manageable when Rice and William Saliba are available to provide cover, but their continued absence left Arsenal's structure looking fragile. The Gunners have now shipped six goals across their last two pre-season outings.
Arteta's side should naturally improve once key players are reintegrated. The return of Rice, alongside the summer addition of Bruno Guimaraes, is expected to shore up the midfield, while Raya's comeback in goal should resolve concerns over goalkeeping performances this summer, an area where Kepa Arrizabalaga has struggled.
Yet amid the ongoing links to attacking reinforcements such as Vinicius Jr, the Dortmund defeat underlined that defensive recruitment should be just as high on Arsenal's agenda this transfer window.
With Jurrien Timber still some weeks from returning and Saliba sidelined for months as he recovers from a back issue, there is a real possibility that the back four fielded against Dortmund could be the one Arteta turns to for the Premier League opener against Coventry.
That reliance places significant pressure on Ben White remaining fit, something that cannot be guaranteed given the 28-year-old is only just back from an MCL injury. Cristhian Mosquera, who featured at right-back last season, is now needed centrally in Saliba's absence, leaving Arsenal light at right-back. With Louis Copley out through an ACL injury, 18-year-old Theo Julienne has emerged as the primary cover in that position — a situation many would view as insufficient for a club aiming to defend the Premier League title.
Arsenal have reportedly identified a versatile defender as a transfer target, with Aston Villa's Ezri Konsa among those under consideration, although Villa's £60million valuation is said to exceed what Arsenal are willing to pay. Tottenham captain Cristian Romero has also been mentioned as a potential option, though a genuine right-back addition may better suit Arsenal's needs.
Signing a centre-back of Saliba's calibre appears unrealistic this summer, given the scarcity of players at that level and the unlikelihood of any signing accepting a role once Saliba returns. Arsenal do, however, have some flexibility in that area, with Mosquera developing, White able to deputise, and Timber and Piero Hincapie both capable of playing centrally if required.
The more pressing concern remains at right-back, where a single injury to White could force a significant reshuffle. Timber, meanwhile, will need to be carefully managed on his return given last season's fitness issues for both him and White.
Strengthening that defensive depth before the transfer window closes is now seen as a priority for sporting director Andrea Berta, with the hope that these pre-season stumbles will, like last year's 3-2 loss to Villarreal, be forgotten by the time silverware is decided.
Based on reporting from Standard Football.