Paris Saint-Germain have completed the return of France international Lucas Digne from Aston Villa, in one of several significant deals struck across English and European football on Sunday.
The 33-year-old left-back has signed a three-year contract with the Ligue 1 champions, with PSG activating a release clause reported to be between £6m and £7m despite Digne having two years remaining on his Villa deal. Digne had been a regular for France at this summer's World Cup, appearing in six matches for Les Bleus.
Aston Villa paid tribute to the defender on their official website, describing him as "a consummate professional, who was highly regarded by his fellow players and staff alike." Digne joined Villa from Everton in a £25m switch in January 2022 and went on to make 182 appearances across all competitions, contributing four goals and 24 assists. He was instrumental in Unai Emery's side lifting the Europa League last season.
The move marks a homecoming of sorts for Digne, who spent three years at PSG earlier in his career, making 30 Ligue 1 appearances before departing for Barcelona in 2016. "I am very honoured to be returning to Paris Saint-Germain following the wonderful experience I had here more than 10 years ago," Digne told the club's website.
Elsewhere, Fulham have strengthened their midfield options by agreeing a £30m deal for Southampton's Shea Charles. The Northern Ireland international, who emerged as one of the standout performers in last season's Championship, is set to sign a five-year contract at Craven Cottage pending a medical and the completion of legal formalities. Fulham will pay an initial £26m, with a further £4m contingent on performance-related add-ons. The scale of the fee is understood to have put off rival suitors, including Leeds.
Charles made over 2,000 minutes of Championship football last term as Southampton reached the playoffs, before the club was later excluded following allegations of spying on opponents. At Fulham, he is expected to become a central figure in midfield following Sasa Lukic's departure to Ipswich. He joins a growing list of summer arrivals under new manager Álvaro Arbeloa, including forwards Jonah Kusi-Asare and Gonzalo García, and attacking midfielder César Palacios, as the club looks to lower the average age of its squad.
In Italy, Chelsea defender Trevoh Chalobah has completed a switch to Como in a deal worth an initial £25.7m, with terms on a five-year contract finalised last week. The England international expressed his excitement at reuniting with manager Cesc Fàbregas, with whom he briefly overlapped at Stamford Bridge. "It's an ambitious, rising project, and working with Cesc Fàbregas again is truly special. I can't wait to bring my experience to the team, feel the incredible atmosphere at the stadium, and connect with the fans," Chalobah said. Fàbregas welcomed his new signing, calling him "a leader who can raise the level of the team."
Back in the Championship, Coventry have brought Gustavo Hamer back to the club from Sheffield United for £6m plus add-ons, becoming their sixth signing of the summer under Frank Lampard following big-money arrivals Carl Rushworth and Caleb Yirenkyi.
Among other notable moves, veteran midfielder Idrissa Gueye has joined Saudi Pro League side Diriyah as a free agent after leaving Everton, while Hull City have signed Swedish wing-back Elliot Stroud from Mjallby on a four-year deal. Nottingham Forest, meanwhile, continue to be linked with a £30m move for Sporting's Ousmane Diomande, reportedly a key target for new manager Oliver Glasner.
Based on reporting from Guardian Football.