Aston Villa's turbulent summer spilled onto the pitch in the worst possible way as Unai Emery's side imploded during a catastrophic first half at Brighton, falling four goals behind before the interval and having a debutant sent off in the process.
The Europa League holders arrived on the south coast already reshaped by a chaotic transfer window, having sold four regulars from their triumphant European final side - Morgan Rogers, Youri Tielemans, Lucas Digne and Ezri Konsa all departed, with Ollie Watkins and Emi Martinez both omitted from the matchday squad amid growing exit rumours of their own.
Whatever cohesion Villa hoped to find quickly evaporated. Brighton needed only eight minutes to take the lead when Victor Lindelof inadvertently turned the ball into his own net, and Maxim De Cuyper doubled the home side's advantage soon after. The collapse accelerated dramatically when Jack Hinshelwood struck twice within just two minutes, the second arriving a mere 80 seconds after the first, punishing a Villa side that had lost possession cheaply near their own box.
Compounding the misery was the dismissal of Joao Gomes, the £38 million summer arrival from Wolves, who was shown a straight red card for kicking out at Georginio Rutter - on what was his first Premier League appearance for the club. Gomes had already been booked earlier in the half for mockingly gesturing an imaginary card toward Brighton's Pascal Gross.
The numbers underline just how extraordinary the capitulation was. According to Opta, Gomes became only the second player in Premier League history to be sent off in the first half of his debut for a club, following QPR's Samba Diakite in 2012. Brighton, meanwhile, became just the third team in league history to lead by four goals at halftime on an opening weekend.
The scenes were reflective of the unease surrounding the club, with sections of the away end already empty before the break. Still, those supporters who stayed continued to sing Emery's name in a show of loyalty despite the humiliation unfolding in front of them.
Villa's summer business has been defined as much by departures as arrivals. The club recouped substantial fees for its outgoing stars - a club-record £117 million from Chelsea for Rogers, £51 million for England international Konsa, and £35 million for Tielemans. In response, Villa broke their transfer record to sign Johan Manzambi, though he was unavailable through injury, while Japan goalkeeper Zion Suzuki looks set to eventually replace Martinez between the posts, starting the Brighton match on the bench. Alejandro Garnacho and Aaron Wan-Bissaka have joined on loan deals, and Matteo Ruggeri has also been recruited as Emery reshapes his squad. The club has additionally been linked with a possible move for Chelsea forward Nicolas Jackson.
Despite the disorder, Emery struck an optimistic tone before the match. "I'm very excited, I think we have had an intelligent market," he said. "We know where we are and we know what we want to do again for the next year. This is the priority and this is the motivation I have."
The futures of both Watkins and Martinez remain uncertain, with Saudi club Al-Hilal reportedly interested in the striker. When pressed on whether Watkins' absence from the squad signaled his impending departure, Emery offered a telling, drawn-out silence before responding simply: "Silence." The manager has previously said he wants to retain Watkins but confirmed that offers for the 30-year-old have already been received.
Villa will look to respond quickly, with reigning Premier League champions Arsenal visiting Villa Park on Monday in what already looms as a defining early test of the post-overhaul squad.
Based on reporting from Independent (football).