Julian Alvarez is set to feature for Atletico Madrid for the first time this season when Diego Simeone's side travel to face Villarreal at the Metropolitano Stadium on Sunday, despite continued speculation linking the Argentine striker with a move away from the club.
Alvarez was omitted from the matchday squad for Wednesday's 2-0 victory over Malaga as he continued to build match fitness following his break after the World Cup. However, Simeone confirmed at his pre-match press conference on Saturday that the forward would be included this weekend.
"Julian Alvarez will be in the squad tomorrow," Simeone told reporters. "For me, Julian is an extremely important player for us to achieve our objectives. As long as he's with the team, I'm going to look after him."
The Atletico boss also addressed the hostile reaction from a section of the club's supporters, who directed insulting chants at Alvarez during the Malaga fixture. A banner criticizing the striker's behavior also circulated on social media before that match, reflecting growing frustration among fans over his public admission that he dreams of joining Barcelona.
"I respect our fans, I always have, but I don't agree with insults or abuse," Simeone said. "Every word is being scrutinised by people waiting to create conflict and uncertainty. There is no uncertainty. Miguel was very clear. He [Alvarez] is our player and we need him."
The transfer saga surrounding Alvarez has intensified over the summer, with both Barcelona and Real Madrid making significant offers for the former Manchester City forward, only to be turned down by Atletico. Barcelona's proposal, reportedly worth €100 million (£85.6m), was rejected earlier in the window, while a staggering €150 million (£130m) bid from fierce rivals Real Madrid was also publicly dismissed by the club.
Atletico's stance has been reinforced by chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin, who spoke to Spanish news agency EFE on Friday and suggested that Alvarez may have received poor guidance during the saga. "Atletico Madrid, like every big club, is built on great players, and Julian is one of them, as well as being a great professional," Gil Marin said, according to ESPN. "We have to compete with our values, with homegrown players and the best players we can bring in from outside. We are going to help Julian and continue to look after him, so he can reach his full potential... we must understand that Julian hasn't had the best advisors around him in recent months."
Those remarks appeared to prompt a cryptic response from Alvarez's representative, Fernando Hidalgo, who posted a message on Instagram without directly naming the player or the club. The post read: "Never ask a liar why they lied. To explain it, they would have to lie again."
Meanwhile, Arsenal remain among the clubs monitoring Alvarez's situation, with the Premier League side reportedly keen on adding the Argentine to their attacking options. Despite the growing external interest and the tension surrounding his future, Atletico's hierarchy has been unequivocal in stating that the striker will not be leaving the club this summer, with both Simeone and Gil Marin publicly backing the 24-year-old to remain a central figure in the team's plans as the new season gets underway.
Based on reporting from Standard Sport, with additional quotes via ESPN.