Chelsea have tied down one of their prized attacking assets, confirming that João Pedro has put pen to paper on a new contract that will keep him at Stamford Bridge until 2034. The extension represents a significant vote of confidence in the Brazilian forward, who only arrived at the club in 2025, and underlines the west London side's intention to build a settled core of players for the years ahead.
Speaking after the announcement, João Pedro expressed his delight at securing his future with the club. "I am very happy to sign a new contract with Chelsea," he said. "I always dreamed of playing for a big club, and it means a lot to me to give my long-term commitment to this club."
The news broke on the opening weekend of the Premier League season, adding to a busy few days of transfer activity across the top flight. Manchester United have been particularly active in strengthening their midfield ahead of manager Michael Carrick's first full campaign in charge following his permanent appointment in May. The Red Devils have agreed a deal worth an initial £65m with Brighton for midfielder Carlos Baleba, who becomes the third addition to United's engine room this summer alongside Youri Tielemans and Andrey Santos. The trio arrive as United look to address what had been identified as a problem area for the club, giving Carrick a reshaped squad to work with as United begin their season away at Hull City.
Elsewhere, Tottenham have been the subject of comment from Brighton manager Roberto De Zerbi, who suggested that rivals would be uneasy about Spurs' improvement following a summer of heavy investment, which includes the return of James Maddison. Spurs travel to Brentford in Saturday's late afternoon kick-off, one of five Premier League fixtures on the opening day alongside Hull v Manchester United, Everton v Crystal Palace, Ipswich v Sunderland, and Nottingham Forest v Leeds.
At the Emirates, Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta said he was "really happy" with his current squad, even as speculation continues to link the club with Atletico Madrid's Julian Alvarez. The reigning champions opened their title defence in style on Friday evening, with a comfortable 3-0 win at home to newly-promoted Coventry, a performance in which Martin Ødegaard stood out.
Away from the top flight, the football calendar was in full swing across the divisions. QPR were among the early movers of the new season, having already opened their Championship campaign with a 3-1 away win at Portsmouth, while Saturday's lower-league schedule included Scottish League Two action, with Clyde hosting Forfar Athletic and Elgin City making the long trip south to face Spartans in Edinburgh.
On the governance side of the game, there were reports that senior figures in African football have held discussions with Fifa general secretary Mattias Grafström over a potential candidacy to challenge Gianni Infantino, signalling possible turbulence in football's governing body in the period ahead.
For Chelsea, though, the focus will remain on the pitch, where João Pedro's fresh commitment gives head coach and supporters alike reassurance that one of the club's key attacking pieces is settled for the long haul, even as the wider Premier League enters what promises to be an eventful new campaign.
Based on reporting from Guardian Football.