Aston Villa manager Unai Emery has admitted that striker Ollie Watkins may yet leave the club before the transfer window closes, while also revealing that goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez has asked to move on this summer.
Villa have already rejected four offers from Saudi Pro League side Al Hilal for Watkins in recent days, but Emery stopped short of guaranteeing the forward's future at Villa Park. Speaking ahead of his side's Premier League season opener away at Brighton, the Spanish coach acknowledged the situation surrounding the England international was unresolved.
"We have an issue with him, it's clear. He is another player, we have had offers for him," Emery said. "He is our player, I don't want to sell him. It can change because if it is a good option for him, good option for the club and I can replace him in the squad."
The manager compared the scenario to previous departures from the club, suggesting a similar pattern could play out with Watkins as it did with other players who left this summer. "This is the routine we have and we did before with the players they are losing. With Ollie, he is here, and he has always been up and down in his performance," Emery explained.
Despite the uncertainty, Emery was full of praise for the 29-year-old, describing him as a top-class attacker who has consistently delivered for the club. "He is a fantastic striker, we always believe in him and we supported him and he did it. Now he is our player and there is 10 days more or less to finish the transfer window," he said. "We will see what happens. He is our player, I am happy with him and in case he stays with us, he is going to continue playing his level. If he is leaving it will be for the best three ways. One is him, another is the club and another is the team."
Watkins' potential exit would add to what has already been an eventful summer of departures for Villa, with Morgan Rogers, Lucas Digne and Youri Tielemans among those to leave, and Ezri Konsa's move to Arsenal confirmed on Friday.
Adding to the upheaval, Emery confirmed that long-serving goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez has requested a transfer away from the club. The Argentina international has reportedly been seeking a new challenge for the past two transfer windows, according to his manager.
"He transmitted to us the possibility to have another challenge in his career," Emery said. "Not now, even last year, he was thinking in case he can have one possibility to change and he didn't do last year, and he performed fantastic with us. This year again, he transmitted us the possibility to have another challenge, and we decided to sign Suzuki because I think he's a fantastic goalkeeper in case Martinez is leaving."
In anticipation of Martinez's potential departure, Villa have already brought in Japanese goalkeeper Zion Suzuki as cover and a possible long-term successor between the posts.
Despite the swirling uncertainty over two of his most prominent players, Emery struck a positive tone about Villa's business in the market this summer, pointing to a host of new arrivals including Suzuki, Johan Manzambi, Joao Gomes, Matteo Ruggeri, Alejandro Garnacho and Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
"I'm very excited, I think we have had an intelligent market," Emery said. "We know where we are and we know what we want to do again for the next year. This is the priority and this is the motivation I have."
Based on reporting from The Independent.