Liverpool have seen a second bid for Brighton winger Yankuba Minteh turned down, with the Seagulls holding firm on their valuation of the Gambia international as the transfer window nears its close. The Reds returned with an improved offer of £60m for the 22-year-old, only for Brighton to reject it, having already knocked back a £50m proposal earlier in the week. Reports suggest the south coast club are holding out for a fee closer to £70m before they will consider parting with their player, though talks between the two clubs are said to be ongoing.
Minteh, primarily a right-sided attacker, joined Brighton from Newcastle for £30m in 2024 and has since developed into one of the club's key performers, contributing goals and assists across his time at the Amex Stadium. Despite his growing importance to Brighton's setup, he is understood to be receptive to the idea of a move to Anfield, though he faces the prospect of missing the opening months of the new campaign through injury regardless of where he ends up.
Liverpool's interest in Minteh stems from head coach Andoni Iraola's concerns over a shortage of natural wide players in his squad heading into the new season. Speaking about the club's transfer business, Iraola acknowledged the difficulties of navigating a market that remains fluid so close to the competitive season getting underway. "As a manager, this is an easy one for me. I wanted the players for the first day on 13 July – everyone here and all the positions doubled with top-level players," he said. "But you understand how the competition works, that the market is open and you start the competition. We have to adapt as coaches to this situation."
The Spanish coach was candid about the specific need for wide attacking reinforcements, stating: "There are certain situations that for me are clear – especially now on the wing because we don't have enough players specific to play in those positions." He added that any incoming business would be about elevating the overall quality of the squad rather than simply filling gaps: "It's not about signing because we need a player here. No, it's about improving the squad."
Minteh has emerged as an alternative target after Liverpool's pursuit of Paris Saint-Germain's Bradley Barcola stalled over financial demands, with the Ligue 1 champions reportedly seeking a fee in the region of £145m for the French international. Liverpool have also shown interest in PSG's Ibrahim Mbaye as they explore other options in the wide areas, while an £86m bid for RB Leipzig's Yan Diomande fell through after the player opted to join Real Madrid instead.
The search for wing options comes amid a summer of significant squad turnover at Anfield. Iraola has already brought in Victor Munoz from Osasuna, along with centre-back Jeremy Jacquet from Rennes and a loan deal for Ronald Araujo from Barcelona. Meanwhile, the club has bid farewell to several key figures, including Mohamed Salah, Andy Robertson, and Ibrahima Konate, while midfielder Curtis Jones is finalising a £30m switch to Inter Milan.
Discussing Jones' impending departure, Iraola reflected on their conversations since he replaced Arne Slot as manager: "I value him a lot as a player. He loved this club – it was very clear since the beginning for me – but I understood that probably the outcome was going to be what it has been at the end."
Despite the setbacks in the transfer market, Iraola remains optimistic that Liverpool's business will come together before deadline day. "We will definitely sign some players. Some deals you have to wait until the end," he told Sky Sports. "But the end is the important picture, the one we will have on September 1. Because it is true that we are still quite thin."
Based on reporting from BBC Sport and The Independent.