Liverpool manager Andoni Iraola has conceded that his squad remains short of numbers in certain positions, insisting the club will bring in reinforcements before the transfer window shuts at the start of next month.
The Reds have seen several key figures depart Anfield this summer, with Mohamed Salah, Ibrahima Konate and Curtis Jones all leaving the club. Compounding matters, striker Hugo Ekitike is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines through injury, leaving Iraola's options limited heading into the new campaign.
So far, Liverpool's summer business has been modest. Winger Victor Munoz and centre-back Ronaldo Araujo are the only new faces to have joined this window, while French defender Jeremey Jacquet has also officially moved to Anfield after his £55million transfer was agreed back in February.
Speaking to Sky Sports, Iraola acknowledged that further additions are on the way, even if some negotiations are proving lengthy. "We will definitely sign some players. Some deals you have to wait until the end," the Spanish coach said. He added that the true measure of Liverpool's summer work will only become clear once the window closes. "But the end is the important picture, the one we will have on September 1, because it is true that we are still quite thin," Iraola explained.
Despite possessing considerable quality throughout the squad, Liverpool are widely seen as needing greater depth—and possibly an upgrade in certain starting positions—if they are to mount a serious title challenge this season. The wide areas in particular have been identified as a priority, with the club continuing to explore options on the flanks.
One player long linked with a move to Merseyside is PSG's Bradley Barcola, and Iraola's comments about protracted negotiations were widely interpreted as a nod to that ongoing pursuit. Liverpool have reportedly been in talks with the French champions over the winger for much of the summer, but the two parties remain some distance apart on valuation, with PSG said to be holding out for a fee in the region of £145million.
The Reds have also explored other avenues in the market. A bid of £50million for Brighton's Yankuba Minteh was rejected by the Seagulls, and it remains unclear whether Liverpool will return with an improved offer for the Gambian international before the deadline.
With just over two weeks remaining before the transfer window closes, Iraola and Liverpool's recruitment team face a busy stretch as they look to bolster a squad the manager himself has described as lacking depth. The Reds will begin their Premier League campaign away at Newcastle on Sunday, 23 August, a fixture that will offer an early indication of how prepared Iraola's side are for the season ahead, regardless of any late incomings.
Based on reporting from The Independent.