Alonso Dismisses Enzo Fernandez Exit Talk as Chelsea Prepare for Premier League Opener

By LiveScore365 Newsroom · Premier League Chelsea

Xabi Alonso has moved to calm speculation surrounding Enzo Fernandez's future at Chelsea, insisting the Argentine midfielder remains fully committed to the club as he prepares for his first competitive fixture as Blues manager against Fulham.

Fernandez has spent much of the summer at the centre of transfer rumours, with reports suggesting Manchester City, now managed by former Chelsea boss Enzo Maresca, held strong interest in the player. Chelsea reportedly set a deadline of 5pm last Friday for interested clubs to match their £120million valuation of the midfielder, but no formal bid materialised from City or elsewhere before that cut-off point.

The uncertainty over his future has not gone unnoticed by supporters. Fernandez received a mixed reception from a section of Chelsea fans during last weekend's pre-season friendly against Real Sociedad at Stamford Bridge, with some jeers audible both when his name was announced ahead of the warm-up and when he entered the match as a substitute.

Despite the noise surrounding his client, Alonso was unequivocal when pressed on the matter during his pre-match press conference. "Enzo is a Chelsea player," the Spaniard said. "He's a top, top player. He's training really well since he started 10 days ago with the team, very integrated. We are happy with him and he's getting ready for Monday."

When asked directly whether Fernandez had expressed a desire to remain in west London, Alonso remained measured but firm. "He's training really well with a good attitude, and that's what we want," he said. "He's trying his best to prepare for the kick-off of the Premier League."

Fernandez, who joined Chelsea in a £107million deal in 2023, was previously reported to have made his admiration for Real Madrid known, though the Spanish giants publicly denied any interest in pursuing a deal. With the domestic transfer window remaining open until 1 September, a late move for the World Cup finalist has not been entirely ruled out, though Chelsea are understood to now anticipate he will stay through to next summer.

On the fitness front, Alonso confirmed Fernandez will be available for selection at Craven Cottage despite carrying a minor knock. "He can be involved," the manager said. "He needs a couple of days not training too much because of a little thing. We expect him to be back on Saturday."

Fernandez was among several Chelsea players — including Reece James, Maxence Lacroix, Morgan Rogers, Valentin Barco and Malo Gusto — who were given extended breaks after representing their countries at the World Cup, only returning to pre-season training following the club's tour of southeast Asia. Alonso expressed no concern over their readiness for the derby, noting all are selectable despite a condensed preparation period.

There was further encouraging news regarding Levi Colwill, who is nearing full match fitness after a lengthy recovery from an ACL injury sustained around a year ago. "Having a proper pre-season has helped him in taking the right steps in the right moment," Alonso explained. "We don't want to rush him too quickly... now, after pre-season, we are expecting him to play in a good way with the confidence and the fitness to have him at his best level. For me, he is one of the best centre-backs in the world."

Alonso also delivered positive news on the contract front, confirming Brazilian forward Joao Pedro has signed fresh terms and will now wear the number 9 shirt, previously held by Liam Delap. "He's not just a great player, he has a great personality," Alonso said of Joao Pedro. "His development as a great player and as a leader is very noticeable each day and in each game... I'm very happy and impressed with his personality as well."

Based on reporting from The Independent and The Standard.

Sources: independent-football, standard-football
AboutEditorial policyContactNewsWidget