With the summer transfer window edging toward its September 1 close, several Premier League clubs are scrambling to finalise deals, headlined by Rodri's blockbuster move from Manchester City to Barcelona.
The Spain international midfielder, who won the World Cup and previously held the Ballon d'Or, is poised to complete a switch to Camp Nou after Barcelona finally met City's valuation. Reports suggest the deal is worth around €76.5million (roughly £65m), structured as an initial €60m fee with more than €11m in achievable add-ons. Rodri is due to travel to Catalonia to undergo a medical and sign a four-year contract running until 2030. With Rodri in the final year of his City deal and previously reluctant to extend his stay at the Etihad, the club opted to cash in rather than risk losing him for nothing next summer. Attention at City now turns to replacements, with 18-year-old Lille midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi under consideration, while Chelsea's Enzo Fernandez also remains on the club's radar despite City missing an earlier deadline to submit an offer for the Argentine.
At Anfield, Liverpool have received encouragement in their pursuit of Paris Saint-Germain wingers Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye. Both players were omitted from Luis Enrique's squad for PSG's Trophee des Champions clash, which the European champions lost 1-0 to Lens despite playing with a numerical advantage for much of the match. Liverpool, who are believed to value Barcola at around £100m against PSG's reported £145m asking price, appear willing to negotiate patiently as manager Andoni Iraola looks to add another winger to his ranks. Arsenal have also been credited with interest in the France international.
Arsenal, fresh off their Community Shield triumph over Manchester City, continue to reshape their squad. Julian Alvarez remains their primary attacking target, though Atletico Madrid have been firm in resisting offers, and the Argentine is said to still favour a move to Barcelona over north London. The Gunners have also held discussions regarding Victor Osimhen and are pushing to bring in Ezri Konsa, alongside surprise interest in Jarell Quansah and Jack Hinshelwood as cover following William Saliba's injury.
Meanwhile, Gabriel Martinelli and Ethan Nwaneri were both left out of the Community Shield squad, fuelling speculation over their futures, though manager Mikel Arteta insisted both remain valued members of the squad. "It's really sad not to have their availability," Arteta said, adding that he has been lobbying the Premier League to allow larger squads. "I've been fighting with the Premier League to extend and accommodate more players in the squad because they deserve to be in the squad, there's no question. Ethan and Marli as well, who has had the whole pre-season with us. Hopefully we can change that rule so players can enjoy on the pitch and can be an option to play and contribute to the team going forward." Martinelli reportedly turned down a move to Galatasaray despite a bid of around £39m.
Elsewhere, Tottenham are closing in on deals for Cody Gakpo and Savinho as part of an ambitious late push, while also showing interest in Chelsea forward Nicolas Jackson. Guglielmo Vicario looks increasingly likely to depart Spurs, with Juventus reportedly preparing a season-long loan offer including an option to buy, after their move for Aston Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez collapsed amid disagreements over valuation and fitness concerns following a finger injury.
Manchester United, meanwhile, are exploring a potential deal for Freiburg striker Igor Matanovic as they look to bolster their attacking options amid uncertainty surrounding Joshua Zirkzee and Marcus Rashford. Chelsea striker Liam Delap has also emerged as a target for Nottingham Forest, joining Newcastle United and Everton in the chase, though no concrete offers have yet been tabled for the 23-year-old, who is valued at £40million.
Based on reporting from Standard Sport and The Independent.